For the past week, I’ve been trying to figure out how to do an intro cutscene. I think I’m going to have a short animated (not too much) intro. I’m thinking it should be longer and should have more pictures than the first one. Here are some of the pictures I did for it.
The first Crystal Story only had one dungeon to explore. I’m trying to add new and different areas to the second one. Here are some of the outside areas I have finished. I still have a long way to go.
School started again, so progress will be a lot slower. I’m still working on the game on my free time though. I’m hoping to finish this game by this year.
Crystal Story II page has been updated again! The new Smalltown.
I updated the Crystal Story II page with information about the battle system. Check it out.
Check out my post on newgrounds. Link.
Feedback is always nice. I have received some recently and I decided to post them here along with my feedback. In a couple of weeks, I will have a lot of stuff to show. I will then start blogging on newgrounds and try and get more feedback there.
– First, about whether the enemy or the party has the first turn… I think you should put an attack command while outside battle. So, if you attack the enemy while in the overworld, you have the first turn… while, if the enemy bumps into you, they have the first turn.
– Also, the thing about being able to upgrade all the equipment was great… but I think there should be a way to know the base stats of the equipment, to really compare it with other without having to upgrade something you will probably discard.
– About the character types: It was quite great to be able to choose a class… however… in the end, the Mage class was quite overpowered, don’t you think? Maybe only one or two characters should have access to that class… Also, there were some skills that repeated over all the skill lists… maybe the characters should be more unique… And honestly, in my opinion, only the support/healer of the party should have most of the “stat up” spells… that way, it would make that class more interesting and people wouldn’t have a party full of attack-mages.
– The party: I think each member should have much more different stats. While I was playing, it always seemed like each character could be the best at everything with the right equipment… I dont know… maybe giving characters at least one “prefered” stat will make each of them useful at each situation.
– About the enemies… the only thing I would change, is that I would put the items they could drop at their description, and also their elemental affinity, to know which of the 4 elements would do more damage… And well… it wouldn’t hurt if at least the strongest ones had some animations… right? =)
– And finally, about randomness… I don’t think certain things should be decided randomly… mostly, the items at the shop… it is quite easy just to go out and enter again until you get the items you want… Also, the treasure chest locations shouldn’t be random either… but well, I see that since in the new game it will be an open world, it probably wont be that way…
I found a checklist plugin that I can use to keep track of my progress. I’m going to try it for a bit and see if it helps.
Edit: Nope it doesn’t. Going to try a different approach.